NODAL FINANCE OFFICER, EASTERN AND SOUTHERN AFRICA REGION, BASED IN LILONGWE, MALAWI
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is a center of scientific excellence that harnesses the benefits of trees for people and the environment. Leveraging the world’s largest repository of agroforestry science and information, we develop knowledge practices, for farmers’ fields to the global sphere, to ensure food security and environmental sustainability.
ICRAF’s headquarters are based in Nairobi, Kenya, and we operate six regional programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our vision is an equitable world where all people have viable livelihoods supported by healthy and productive landscapes. Our mission is to harness the multiple benefits trees provide for agriculture, livelihoods, resilience and the future of our planet, from farmers’ fields through to continental scales.
ICRAF is the only institution conducting globally significant agroforestry research in and for all of the developing tropics. Knowledge produced by ICRAF allows governments, development agencies, and farmers to use the power of trees to make farming livelihoods more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable at scales.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
This position will be responsible for the execution of day to day financial duties to the ICRAF Lilongwe office and will report to the Nodal Representative Administratively and the ESAf Regional Finance Manager Technically.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the effective management of internal controls, the operations and effectiveness of all processes, including the payroll & accounting systems at the Nodal office.
- Participate in the development and review of annual financial plans, budgets & targets.
- Support project financial audits in liaison ESA regional office for the various Southern Africa Nodal grants to ensure compliance with policy and procedures for budget monitoring, reporting and for operational efficiency.
- Monitor the appropriate and timely use and reporting of budgets.
- Manage the liquidation and flow of funds to partner institutions.
- Ensure that all concept notes, briefs and fund proposals emanating from Southern Africa Nodal office follow the appropriate guidelines.
- Ensure the integrity of the annual financial statements by verifying that they align to ICRAF policies; meet legal requirements; and comply with the Agresso Business World (OCS) and other relevant standards reflecting best practice.
- Review the preparation of payroll, statutory deductions and other related payments by the HR/Admin Officer.
- Maintain updated nodal financial & management data in Agresso Business World (OCS), ensuring the availability of timely and relevant information for reporting.
- Coordinate quality, accurate and timely submission of monthly accounting returns from Nodal country offices, including follow-up of returns from collaborators/ partners and review of expenditures to ensure compliance with the ICRAF policies.
For a detailed Job Description please visit http://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor of Business/Social Science/ or a relevant degree
- At least CPA 2 or relevant Financial/Accounting Management qualification with a good understanding of budgeting and financial management practices
- Knowledge of accounting systems
- At least 3 years professional experience in the field of administration and Accounting or Finance in an NGO Setting
- Familiarity of the CGIAR system is a merit but not a must.
- Proficiency in English and knowledge of official local language.
- Willing to travel across the country as well as in the Regional Office when needed
- Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the job.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to conceptualize and analyse problems to identify key issues and resolve underlying problems; able to generate creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Strong foresight
- Able to devise new systems and processes, and modify existing ones.
- Well organized and able to meet deadlines.
Malawi nationals with Finance experience and skills are especially encouraged to apply for this position.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This is a Nationally-recruited position and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable, and subject to a six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and experience should send/ email their CVs and cover letter to HumanResources@cgiar.org, not later than 24th May, 2018.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted. Please attach your cover letter and CV/Resume (as one document – labelled with your First Name and Last Name)